- B.Sc. (Med. Sci.) Pathology (1st Class) University of Edinburgh
- MB ChB (Honours) Edinburgh University Medical School
- Ph.D. ‘The Periaxin gene in human and mouse demyelinating peripheral neuropathy.’ Supervisor Prof. Peter Brophy, University of Edinburgh
- 2006-2008 - post doc, Violet Nasmyth Travelling Fellowship from Medical Research Scotland. INSERM U711, l’hôpital de la Salpêtrière, Paris, France. Supervisor- Prof. Catherine Lubetzki.
- 2008-2013 Wellcome Trust Clinical Intermediate Fellow, University of Edinburgh
- 2013 - Scottish Senior Research Fellow
- 2008 to present– Honorary consultant neurologist, Edinburgh